pink button - my story pink button - Facebook pink button - twitter pink button - Instagram pink button - pinterest

Friday, January 10, 2014

Save the Dates

Alright, this is something I feel pretty strongly about, and something that I got some... comments about.
I am not sending save the dates and I am not changing my mind.
I really, truly, do not understand the point of them. Just send an invitation! Anything you send is going to be looked at for two seconds, thrown into a drawer or MAYBE onto the fridge, and forgotten about until the day of. Afterwards, it will go in the trash.
So why waste the money on two sets?


"We need to let people know you're engaged!"
Uhm, pretty much everyone knows I'm engaged. Mostly through Facebook, also through texts, phone calls, and word of mouth. They know. If they don't.... they're probably not invited anyway. I'm just being honest here.


"Family from out of town needs to plan ahead!"
I can, and have, very easily send a text or call to my out of town family to let them know when my wedding is. Why do I have to send an impersonal piece of paper that costs way too much, instead of actually TALK to them? Because let me reiterate, if I don't know them well enough to just talk to them myself, they're probably not invited.


Other than that.... I really don't know any other reasons for sending them.
So, here are my reasons for NOT sending them:


"They are a waste of money!"
They will probably cost around the same as the actual invitations to buy, address, and mail. For basically the same exact thing. Just sent twice.


"They are a waste of time."
Why would I want to address TWO SETS of invitations? I'm not doing them by hand, I'm doing labels, and I STILL don't want to deal with the added stress and time.


"It's a waste of natural resources and will just get thrown away."
 The paper we make these invitations out of? Usually not recyclable. I'm not a crazy earth-saving fanatic, but I believe in doing small easy things to help out. Like not sending out twice as much paper.


"They really are so impersonal."
Why do you think they are so quick to be thrown away? Because it's just a piece of paper with a picture on it. Everyone's lives are so hectic and cluttered already, they don't want to deal with save the dates and an invitation. Honestly, I'd rather a quick phone call or text so I can write it in on my calendar and wait for the invitation. Then I can also, oh I don't know, have a chat with my friend or family member?


Just saying.




As I've said before, this is my opinion and you can do or not do whatever you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment