pink button - my story pink button - Facebook pink button - twitter pink button - Instagram pink button - pinterest

Monday, November 18, 2013

Location, location, location.

My search for a venue was somewhat dramatic and involved my first bridezilla moment. Soon after we got engaged, my fiancé and I started searching online for wedding venues we liked.
One of the first venues we came across was Villa Siena, but I quickly wrote it off as too expensive. As I continued my internet search I quickly realized that finding a venue that would fit my needs and a reasonable budget were NOT going to be easy. Most places I found only had room for an indoor reception and an outdoor ceremony - I was determined to have an all indoor wedding. Although I live in Arizona and it almost never rains here, I just know that nature will be against me. I was also having an issue finding someplace that would fit 150 guests. I still can't understand why that was such a difficult task - I had been under the impression that 150 was on the low side for a wedding. I guess because 99% of the guests are only family members. I'm from a big Mormon family and Jacob (my fiancé) is from a big Mexican family - add that together for a LOT of important family members to invite.
Anyway, I digress.
Eventually, I decided to at least take a tour of Villa Siena and my mom also made an appointment for a tour of a Mesa country club. This is where the drama starts.
I had initially scheduled an appointment at Villa Siena for a Wednesday night for my mom, Jacob, and me. I would just like to say right now, my mom and me are NOT good with directions and getting to a place we've never been to before isn't a fun thing for us. After passing the venue three times in a row, my mom flipped another U-turn to come back towards the venue - over a divider. In a Honda Accord. Long story short, we didn't see the venue that night.
So, I rescheduled the appointment for a few hours before our appointment at the country club, that way my dad would be in town and we could all go look at both.
I set one foot inside Villa Siena and instantly fell in love. Everywhere you looked was breathtaking. Chandeliers everywhere, stone flooring, nice lighting, it looked like a mini castle tucked away in Gilbert, Arizona. I was completely sold. My dad, however, was NOT sold on the price.
Next, we headed toward the country club. Just on the drive through the golf course to get to the club I already decided I hated it. All I could see everywhere was green and trees. I am a city girl at heart and I am not a fan of nature, and I couldn't imagine the backdrop for every single one of my pictures being nothing but green. But still, we went inside.
I'd just like to insert a disclaimer here that at this point I was already dead set on hating this venue. It was actually probably a really nice venue, so I'm just going to say that I was having my first Bridezilla moment and pouted through the entire tour.
Afterward I pretty much had a breakdown, saying that if I was forced to have my wedding there I would hate it. Blah blah blahhhh. I'm not proud of it.

Here is my tip: Line up more than two venues, rank them in the order you like them, and see them in that order, forwards or backwards, doesn't matter. And keep an open mind. Really try to be creative and make a game out of coming up with ways to make your least favorite venue look as good as your top choice. And get a good nights rest the night before; maybe do some yoga or something else to de-stress. Bridezilla moments are just embarrassing!
When we left my parents' house I had to stop and apologize for being a brat (that's the only word for it, that's how I was acting) and explain that I was exhausted and stressed and that I appreciated them coming with us to look at the venues.

That day they also gave me a budget that did not fit having Villa Siena as our venue at the price we'd been quoted. However, I was determined to make it work. I went home, worked the numbers, and found that if we chose a date during their "Low" price range, and chose an outside caterer to have a simple buffet dinner, I could make it work.
Don't throw out something you really want because it's a little out of your price range - there are always ways to cut corners in other areas. If it's completely out of reach, there are also a LOT of creative ways to make a less-expensive space look absolutely stunning.
(Hint: Finding a place with rafters or beams is key. Draping large pieces of fabric will make ANY space look really romantic)

Now I'd like to explain why Villa Siena was, and is, so important to me. I know that after my wedding, all I'm going to have are my new hubby, my memories, and my pictures. I know that a good photographer will be able to take great pictures as long as they have the right lighting, but I wanted it to be so easy to go absolutely anywhere in the venue and have great pictures - and that's what I think Villa Siena does.

Also, just look at it:



And just..... yeah.
I'm so in love with this venue, and my fiancé loves it too.

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment